1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Lisfranc fracture

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jan 29, 2012.

  1. Unregistered

    Unregistered Guest

    Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have had pain across the top of my right foot for about ten years, which is sometimes so bad that I can't walk. I was Xrayed in the early days and told that there were some arthritic changes but that was all. I have been to various podiatrists and spend a fortune on orthotics and shoes. The last podiatrist asked me how long I'd had this displaced bone in my foot! In a way I was relieved that there was a reason for the pain. With some research on the net I am convinced that I have a longstanding Lisfranc fracture - a horse leapt on my foot and stayed there for some time refusing to get off! My question is, can anything be done at this late stage? Everything I read suggests that early treatment is essential. What is the prognosis, am I just going to get worse and worse? Is there any point in going to my GP and seeing if I can get a referal to an orthopedic specialist, or is it just a waste of time.
    Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
  2. still_standing

    still_standing New Member

    Much of what you said carries over to me. I had progressively worse foot pain over the course of 15 years. It started with tendon and plantar fascitis problems, then arthritic problems, to the point where I could only walk short distances, and always in a lot of pain.

    I sought help from a variety of medical professionals, starting with a DPM, then orthopedic surgeon, then foot and ankle ortho surgeon, more DPMs, another ortho surgeon, and finally a DPM who asked me, "Hasn't anyone told you that you have a complete Lisfranc fracture? How are you even walking on this foot with all this damage?" Imagine my surprise when he sat me down, reviewed my xrays with me one by one, and told me I would need to see a highly qualified foot and ankle surgeon to deal with my situation!

    In the time since then, I have had surgery on my foot - a midfoot fusion procedure called arthrodesis - and am currently going through P.T. Were it not for that last DPM, I might still be floating from doctor to doctor asking why I was in so much pain. It is clear, at least from my experience, that the vast majority of doctors (of all specialties) are still incapable (i.e. inexperienced, or at times, not willing to take my pain seriously) of making an accurate diagnosis of this type of foot injury. This is not an uncommon situation, but I know that this long delay has cost me dearly!

    You are correct that the sooner you receive treatment, the better. I developed a rocker bottom foot, and that has not been corrected. Not yet, at least. The potential for serious problems from a rocker bottom foot are considerable. If you read about Charcot arthroneuropathy, you will see what I mean. I have partial neuropathy from previous leg surgeries. I don't think that contributed to the initial problem, but will likely contribute to future problems since I have additional nerve damage now. I am not diabetic, by the way. That would make matters even worse.

    Long story short, an emphatic YES! regarding the pursuit of a foot and ankle orthopedic specialist. Do not delay. And whatever you do, make sure he or she has experience with this problem. The longer you wait for appropriate treatment (which might not necessarily need to be surgery), the more likely you will develop permanent damage.

    Good luck!

Share This Page