1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Severe pain in both feet when standing

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by RogerWard, Oct 26, 2019.

  1. RogerWard

    RogerWard New Member

    Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello everybody,

    Came here to see if anybody could help me figure out how to ease the pain in my feet.

    Here's my story, I'll try to keep it as brief as possible.

    I'm a healthy, athletic, 29 year old white guy. I am 6'1" and roughly 180 lbs, swam for an NCAA Div 1 swimming team in college. I still swim about 3 times a week to maintain general health and fitness.

    I experience excruciating pain in both of my feet whenever I stand for more than about 30 seconds. The pain is all along the bottom of my foot…from the heel to the ball area…but only the bottom. Most of the time, it is a dull, throbbing pain and sometimes, when I try to ignore it and fight through it, it turns into a sharp stabbing pain that causes me to sit down no matter what I'm doing. The pain is equal in both feet and I have no prior injuries to my either of my feet.

    I feel less pain when walking, it's really only when standing.

    When I first started complaining about foot pain, everybody was quick to tell me it was probably plantar fasciitis. I googled it and found that the hallmark sign of plantar fasciitis is pain in the feet after a night of rest. This is not my problem. My feet feel at their best when I stay off them and only begin to hurt once I start to stand. As soon as I get off my feet, the problem slowly begins to subside.

    I have been to several podiatrists, all of which told me that I have high arches and that I should use some custom insoles. I have about 6 pairs of custom insoles ranging from carbon fiber to plastic to foam and they do not help. Nowadays, I wear a pair of insoles religiously, not because it solves all my problems…but because the doctors all agree that I should and it 'takes the edge off' the pain.

    FYI the doctors took X-rays and all said they saw nothing unusual in terms of structure or heel spurs or anything.

    I suspect that whatever the problem is, it is possibly hereditary…cause both my parents have suffered from similar foot pain over the years. My mom is convinced that her issue is plantar's fasciitis and has some select pairs of shoes that help her…but my dad and I are without diagnosis or solution.

    I'm really at my wits end with the pain. I have two totes full of shoes that I have tried in years past to find something comfortable, all to no avail. I even went so far as to try to create my own pair of custom, carbon fiber orthotics. No relief.

    The only relief I get is when I wear a pair of Crocs Classic Clogs. They do provide some serious relief but I cannot wear those to my job or on a date. Just no. I cannot accept that as a permanent solution.

    Has anyone been here before? Any suggestions?


  2. Craig Payne

    Craig Payne Super Moderator

    What you are describing is not typical of any particular problem at this stage. That does not means that other symptoms do not develop later and what it is become obvious.

    The Crocs is a clue, but not clear what it is about those that give relief. It could be the cushioning - if it is you could try a pair of the Hoka running shoes as they have a very high amount of cushioning.

    Otherwise, perhaps see a neurologist for nerve testing and/or a rheumatologist for some other advanced investigations.
  3. RogerWard

    RogerWard New Member

    Hey thanks for the reply Craig. My mom loves her Hoka shoes...maybe I should try a pair. I've never heard of a rheumatologist before but I'll look it up.
    Thanks again!
  4. poddoc

    poddoc Guest

    Pressure = force / area. High pressure hurts. People with high arches usually have a smaller area of contact between the foot and the ground. Inserts that put significant weight on your arch should help, if high pressure is your problem. Do the orthotics touch your arch when you stand on them. Most people that make orthotics are reluctant to make a really high arched orthotic because too high of an arch will hurt in the arch.
  5. rjsnau

    rjsnau New Member

    Dull throbbing pain is usually not the type of pain associated with nerves but rather some king of injury. Since it is both feet it does sound like it is some kind of bio-mechanical issue.

Share This Page